Thursday 2 May 2013

Question Seven


Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression in it from it to the full project?


Looking back at the images from my school magazine task I almost feel embarrassed, and I can definitely see a noticeable difference between it and my completed product now.

In my initial task, I was learning to use InDesign for the first time and was still unsure about how to correctly use all of its functions. I also did not use Photo shop or any programs to edit photographs; I didn’t create very effective images either. Whereas now I know how to use these programs and how to take effective photographs.  I also have taken a lot of time to research and view real magazines for my final product, to ensure that I could follow typical media conventions. In doing this I learned how to make my magazine look far more realistic. I achieved this in ways such as branding it, improving the layout and using better imaging.
In the preliminary task my front cover has the background of the main image from it. The masthead does not give the idea of a real brand and there are no subsidiary images. These are all extreme flaws in the layout and design. The font and colouring also make it appear unconventional and messy.

My preliminary contents page was also extremely amateur looking.  The gaps in page references make it appear unrealistic, and as though there is little content in the magazine. Again, the colour scheme is also unconventional.

I do however see why this preliminary task was necessary. It allowed me to practice using these computer programs as well as letting me identify what I was doing wrong. At some points during designing the pages I knew that I wanted it to look different, but at that point was still unsure about how to achieve it.

I now feel that I have learnt how to successfully design pages of a genre specific magazine product. By practicing and learning how to use the given programs, I have identified how to use them appropriately and create conventional layouts.  I have also learnt that though typical conventions need to be conformed to, I can still express my own creativity by capturing unique images and mixing and matching different learned conventions to create designs that are different to other magazines, whilst still looking realistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment