Tuesday 5 March 2013

Secondary Market Research

In addition to my primary research I have decided to do some secondary market research by looking at statistics of already established rock music magazines. In doing this, I hope to gain a better idea of what readers of this genre will expect from a rock magazine.
Reader Stats for alternative/rock music Magazines:
Readership :345,000
Kerrang! Readers purchase over six albums per month on average. Readers have a gender ratio of 45.3% female and 54.7% female. 56.1% of readers are in the 15-24 age group. Their readers are 5.5 times more likely to go to gigs.
Rock Sound stats:
Total brand audience is 585,000. Their target audience are 15-24 year olds. Their readers in total spend more than £210 million on music and gigs.
Metal Hammer reader profile:
Metal Hammer has an 85% male readership. They spend on average £112 each month on music, tickets and merchandise. Readers spend at least 3 hours reading each issue.

How this will help me:
From this information I can interpret that other magazines are also aiming their product at a youth audience. By studying other alternative music magazines I can see how they do this. For example I have noticed that they tend to use a friendly and informal mode of address. It also seems that the readers in this genre are prepared to spend a lot of money on music and gigs from their favourite artists. In order to appeal to them I need to make sure I feature tour dates and gig reviews in my own product.

No comments:

Post a Comment